Well, it looks like the weather is going to permit our hike planned for tomorrow. We will be starting at Bear Lake and taking the loop; we'll see 5 lakes plus Alberta Falls (unless we're up for more and decide to go south to The Loch or Mills Lake). The daily high is supposed to be 48F, mostly sunny and a breeze up to 14mph. We recently bought: water proof hiking shoes, bear deterrent (pepper spray), a large backpack, survival kit, 1st aid kit, nylon convertible pants/shorts, and a mini led maglite. For my b-day I got a sweet hat, compass, reusable heat pack and water bottle friendly ice tray. Following our trend of over packing, I will also bring my huge camera with 2 lenses, 2 batteries, and 2 memory cards (12gb total). Now all we need is a damn mule to carry it all. As it has been warming up and there has been some recent rainfall, we hope that some plants will have begun flowering. Barring anything weird, expect some (hopefully decent) pictures to be posted this weekend. After the big hike we will be going to BJ's for dinner!
If you care to see a map of the area...Bear Lake is at the dead end of Bear Lake Rd (towards middle of map)
http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/upload/detailedmap.pdf
If we don't report back, you'll know where to send the search party. In case you couldn't tell, the recently discovered Elk carcass has us somewhat concerned about...large predatory animals. I hadn't been a huge fan of guns, I just may put a 45 on my wish list for Christmas. Just kidding. But, no...seriously. I think that would be a good idea. Nature is great and all, but I would rather not be eaten...mauled...devoured by it.
On a lighter note, I got my diploma yesterday and we got our Colorado drivers licenses today! Now it will be much easier for them to identify our remains.
Hey G
ReplyDeleteDid you know that your box of birthday gifties was from all of us OC girls, not just mommy?
Of course, I did send thank you's to all of you. I guess it was a brain fart.
ReplyDelete