I finally got up the nerve to take snowboarding lessons (I attempted to ski a few years ago with Greg's help and it didn't turn out well......Julie + skiing = no good). And considering we now live in a state that has "some of the best snow in the world" it was time. After much research I decided upon Copper Mountain, which is about 30 minutes east of Vail and only about 2 hours from us. Greg and I also decided to drive up there the night before and stay in a hotel so that we didn't have to wake up stupid early to arrive at the resort by 9:00am. Of course, I was too anxious about my lesson and Greg was too excited to go snowboarding so we maybe got 4 hours of sleep. Ugh.
The morning started with a grunt and a whine and some crummy hotel coffee, then we were off. I got my rental gear and met the group on the mountain. To my relief there were only 2 other people in the class! Yippee! Then, 3 more came....boo.....then 2 more...bigger boo. Oh well. The instructor was really nice and REALLY patient. We did some simple drills and got the feel for what it was like to shuffle around and go down a small hill......oh, and fall. I felt pretty confident the first few times around and then I got snow in my pants.....not fun. The rest of the day consisted of me looking like a beached whale on the snow as I rolled over or as a rag doll when I "caught my edge" and was flung to the ground. Ow.
All in all, the day was fun and I did learn a lot but, nothing could have prepared me for the aftermath. I did ask Greg a lot of questions and contacted my brother's wonderful girlfriend who was also able to give me some great advice and I felt very prepared going into it. Then, at the end of the day when I was returning my rental gear, I tried to sit down......oh dear, my rear! My soreness had soreness. I couldn't stand too long or else my legs would give out but I couldn't sit because of my poor tushy. Oh the pain! I knew I was going to be sore but not like this! The entire way home Greg had to listen to me grunt and moan "ow.....ooo......ugh......gonna die......oof!" Who knew the hardest part of the day would be taking my shoes off when I got home!
Final thoughts.......I am pretty sure I will try it again but not until my muscles stop spasming and burning. You have bested me this time snowboarding but I demand a rematch!
Not Final Score
ReplyDeleteSnowboard 1 and Julie 0
Anxiously waiting for the rematch!
Take Good Care Julie