Monday, June 29, 2009





We met up with some friends yesterday in the unknown town of Raymond. We had lunch at the Stanley Hotel with Russ (dad's friend from law school) and Liz and their friends (Isaac and Susan who have a vacation home in Raymond). I sacrilegiously ate a BBQ pulled Elk sandwich, very similar to beef. Then we hung out for a while in Estes Park, walking around the shops in downtown. After that, we had a great bbq at the cabin with some neighbors. The town has an estimated 40 year-round residents, we dined with 3 of them...approximately 8% of the town population! The cabin is located in a national forest so everything is weird. If a well and septic system hadn't been installed long ago, it's too late now. The home was beautiful and the backyard even more impressive, it had a river. Just before dinner Russ and I crossed a bridge, it looked like it would give at any moment, to hike up a cliff. I'm not the best at estimating hights, but we both guessed we climbed 500-1000ft in about 15 minutes, starting at 8,000ft. The view was amazing, we could recognize the home and that people were waving at us, but we had no idea who was who.

2 comments:

  1. Way too steep!
    I wonder if elk is like buffalo, the Great American bison of Catalina Island?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure. I was the only one to try it and I don't believe I've tried bison.

    ReplyDelete